Improving training management – Gulf of Mexico
In 2007, Petrofac Training Services partnered with BP’s Gulf of Mexico
Organizational Capability function. The challenge was to refine and improve the training management model used to support 600 offshore operations personnel. Ongoing efforts have resulted in great strides being made in this area.
Previously, personnel had been responsible for scheduling their own training. Training was scheduled reactively rather than proactively, and 40% of courses scheduled in 2008 were requested on an ad hoc basis. This often resulted in unnecessary cancellation fees and travel expenses, valuable time being wasted, and class quotas not being met.
A more effective approach to training management was needed. Our response was to assemble the Training & Competence Function (TCF) Administration Team:
- As the single point of contact for all Gulf of Mexico training needs, thus removing all training administration duties from the field
- To leverage economies of scale by block booking training for the collective business unit instead of fielding individual, ad hoc requests
- To implement curriculum and training provider audits to ensure quality control and develop Gulf of Mexico-specific curricula
- To enhance BP’s Learning Management System (LMS) by developing a Gulf of Mexico-specific portal to enable easier online registration
- To schedule all HSSE and regulatory training in blocks coinciding with crew change dates, using the LMS
- To develop an online training identification tool to more accurately assign required training according to day-to-day job tasks
Putting in place a single point of contact for all training management and
administration needs has resulted in:
- The removal of any training administration burden from the field
- Transparent cost tracking and accurate management reports
- Cost savings achieved by annual forward planning and leveraging economies of scale
- Quality control by auditing training providers and curricula
- More accurate assignment of required training
- Fewer trips required to complete training
Establishing the TCF Administration Team has also enhanced the overall
training experience for offshore personnel. Removing the training administration burden from the field allows individuals to stay focused on critical issues and on delivering safe, reliable operations.